The History of Orange Frontier District
By Phil Brigandi, Rick Travis and Dave Paulsen
The Orange County Council was divided into Districts that were numbered for administrative purposes during the 1920's. The first established Troop in the area was Troop 4 whom was chartered by either the First Presbyterian church of Westminster or other civic groups. Districts didn't mean much until after the depression.
The council split into the Orange Empire Council and the North Orange Council after World War II. The Westminster area was in the Orange Empire Area Council. In the late 1940's, Westminster was in the Mid-West-Orange District (really, that was its name). By the early 1950s, that had become the Tri-City District.
(Westminster historical trivia - did you know that Tri-City was the original name of the City of Westminster when it ncorporated in 1957. It referred to Westminster, Midway City, and Barber City - except Midway City backed out before incorporation.) Midway City has always been in the same District as Westminster.
In 1957, the Tri-City District was renamed Las Bolsas after the Spanish Ranchero that made up most of western Orange County. It was split in 1964 to create Adelante District, and EI Capitan. Adelante included Westminster and also Huntington Beach. In 1967, Adelante was split to form Excalibur and Pacifica, with the Westminster area in Excalibur. Excalibur is represented by the original District Patch.
Cypress and at least part of Seal Beach were in Sunset District of the old North Orange council. Sunset is described in 1970 as "Serving ... Cypress, Los Alamitos, and sections of La Palma, Buena Park, Anaheim, Seal Beach, and Stanton." It was Sunset District, because it was the western most district in the North Orange Council.
That's where things stood in 1972, when the Orange Empire Area Council and the North Orange Council merged to re-form the Orange County Council. At that time, Excalibur and parts of Sunset became Orange Frontier District.
In 2008 the western portion of the Ahwahnee District, serving parts of Anaheim, Buena Park and La Palma, joined the Orange Frontier District as part of a Orange County Council restructuring. Prior to 1972, in the old North Orange County, the Ahwahnee District was known as the Walter Knott District (from Knott's Berry Farm). The summer camp for the North Orange County Council was called Camp Ahwahnee (1955 - 1978) and was located near Running Springs. The name Ahwahnee stayed with the District from 1972 until 2008.
Orange Frontier District remains strong in spirit and membership due to the excellent support of its volunteers.
History of the Orange Frontier District Patch
The Orange Frontier District Patch was originally designed in May of 1972. The design team was the incoming Orange Frontier District Chair, Dr. Thomas Luparello, and Former Excalibur District Chair and Orange Frontier District Commissioner, Cecil Jenkins.
The patch incorporates the transition of the former Excalibur District and the new Orange Frontier District.
The Key Designs are as follows with their significance:
The Eagle is symbolic of our National Symbol and the ideal of reaching the rank of Eagle Scout.
The Sword is symbolic of the former Excalibur District.
The Rays of Light from the Sun represents the 15 Troops of the new Orange Frontier District.
The sun itself represents the oranges found throughout the groves in Orange Frontier.
The Green fields and mountains along with the sun represent the Sunset District of the North Orange Council that merged with the Excalibur District of the Orange Empire District to form the new Orange Frontier District of the merged Orange County Council.
The Blue sky represents the clear skies of California.
The Gold Border represents the Golden Rule and California's Golden History.